Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Marshmallow Crossbows



I completed the "marshmallow crossbows." I got the idea (as well as the plans) from Steve Ramsey, and these were actually pretty fun to build. Most of my woodworking isn't done at this scale, so I used the project as an opportunity to develop my skills with hand tools. I cheated a bit on a few parts, but I used a coping saw, chisels, a file, and sandpaper wherever possible. Technically I believe these are slingshots because the power comes from the elasticity of the cord rather than the flex of the bow, but the name is really more of a reference to the shape. Plus, they're toys so it doesn't really matter anyway.

I made the crossbows from some leftover mahogany (from the coffee table project) and a random piece of oak (from some other project - I have no idea which one). I cut out and prepared all the parts, then swapped a few pieces to give each crossbow some contrasting elements. This is purely for aesthetics. Steve Ramsey and some other folks used medical elastic and lamp cord (or paracord), but I chose to use a couple of spare bungee cords I had sitting around. They were the perfect length, and required no additional work other than cutting the hooks off.

The crossbows are designed to hold miniature marshmallows, and while they perform as designed in that regard, we had two problems. One was the fact that we were shooting food everywhere, and eventually we would run out of marshmallows. Plus I didn't want to lose one behind a couch and invite ants into the house. The second was that the dog wanted to eat all of the ammunition. While I was building the crossbows a thought had entered my mind. I doubled checked the final form once everything was completed, and it looked like the crossbows would hold a Nerf dart. We picked up a pack of glow-in-the-dark darts (12 darts for $6), and it turns out that they are a perfect fit.

The darts slide right into the holder, and they fire straight and fast! Another project completed, ready for hours of play. I might have to build a couple of knock-down targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment